On the afternoon of September 11th, 2007 – Melissa Alexander insisted that the chubby-cheeked little boy pulled a bowl of hot water onto himself.
Doctors say his injuries were consistent with dunking the boy in scalding water. It was obvious.
Yet in the hours that followed the “accident”, the 25-year-old mother failed to seek medical attention that might have saved 19-month-old Miguel Fernandes’ life.
Medical evidence showed that he would have been screaming in agony and throwing up before falling into a coma. She said she put the boy in a cool bath and applied Vaseline to the burns.
Despite being fully aware that the baby was terribly hurt – “multiple scraps” of little Miguel’s skin were later found in the garbage. Oh gawd, why do I get these stories?!
Alexander had left the baby with her step-brother while she went out shopping for about 2 hours.
Among other things she bought two Kanye West CDs and some groceries.
At some point during that day she had told Miguel’s dad that the boy had pulled a pot of water onto himself, but insisted that it wasn’t serious.
She also told her husband that she had sought help from a walk0in clinic and was advised to apply an ain’t-bacterial ointment.
That evening, Alexander dissuaded her husband from inspecting the burns on the grounds it would disturb the child.
“He asks himself every day why he did not go ahead and look at Miguel’s legs,” the judge said.
“(But) he trusted the boy’s mother.”
It was only at 2 a.m. the following day — about 12 hours after the scalding — that the mother dialed 911 to say her son was dead. Paramedics could not revive him.
*Thanks go to Joy for the tip!
And thanks to Canada for posting names and lots of details 😉