Here we go again kids, more of the same. Got this little gem in the (P)BB inbox recently…
From: Critical Thinker
Subject: More reporting, less editorializing
1) Please use writers who can write well and have someone proofread their work. Suzee, in particular, could use a remedial writing class.
2) Report the facts, research further, and follow up. DON’T fill space with all kinds of conjecture, “purple prose”, and name-calling.
3) It is disturbing to see so much misogyny allowed/promoted among the writers, moderators, and commenters. WTF? The comments about, and descriptions of, these messed up, neglectful, brutal women, are often about their appearance, weight, or something OTHER than their terrible behavior. Anti-female slurs are never appropriate–it’s what she did or didn’t do that warrants criticism and outrage; her sex is irrelevant. Much less is said about the messed up, neglectful, brutal men, and what IS said is much less demeaning and is not anti-male. THAT is f**ked up.
4) The same goes for remarks about:
– economic status (being poor doesn’t mean you are bad or stupid), and
– intelligence (if you don’t have their IQ test in front of you, you don’t know; besides, bad behavior is as much about callousness, sadism, and irresponsibility as it is about stupidity), and
– race (oh, wait, nobody dares say that out loud anymore; but you can still call women “holes” and “stupid cows” and you can still call poor folks “trailer trash”….).
Suggestion: Why don’t you do some stories on programs that teach GOOD parenting, family planning, get families out of poverty, etc. and the hypocritical jackasses who fight AGAINST them…contributing to the very problem you report on here? DO you care about PREVENTION and protection of these kids orr are you guys only about punishment and sensationalism AFTER-THE-FACT?
You’ll have to forgive me if I get a little juvenile…
As I have mentioned multiple times before we are not journalists and we are not professionals. We are fathers, mothers, step-parents, foster parents, adoptive parents, survivors, cycle breakers and most of all human. We don’t get paid to do this. If you don’t like the fact that we don’t abide by the AP style book then you’re more than welcome to have auto-anal intercourse with said book while it’s turned sideways.
Since you bring up Suzee I have to commend her because she has really busted her ass working on her posts and I think she does an outstanding job with a passion that can only come from someone who truly cares about the victims of child abuse.
Your claims of misogyny are laughable. The last time I checked there was only one male writer on the site and that would be yours truly. While I run the site I neither encourage nor discourage my writers about certain words that can or can not be used on this site about how they feel about the perpetrators of child abuse. Not to mention I noticed that you had no problem when we refer to male suspects as sperm donors and vag-fillers. It’s only misogyny to you because that’s what you choose to see. I wouldn’t be surprised if you spelled the word ‘women’ as ‘womyn’.
As far as race and social status go we are, as the old joke goes, equal opportunity offenders. We will call people hoodrats and trailer trash if we feel it fits. As we’ve stated on this blog many times before being poor is no excuse for being an abuser. And we’ve gone after plenty of those who you may consider a higher socio-economic status. Hannah Overton comes to mind between her high price lawyers and her legal defense fund backed by a high powered church but then again you only choose to see what you want to see. I also notice that you don;t mention the fact that I personally have been calling for more media coverage of a missing Hispanic child by the name of Giovanni Gonzalez while the rest of the country was focused on trailer trash whore Casey Anthony. I even went as far as personally speaking to Nancy Grace to try to garner more attention for his case. To me that is tantamount to making a deal with the devil as I feel that Nancy Grace is more part of the problem than the solution.
The purpose of this blog is to highlight the fact that in what is supposed to be an advanced society that child abuse is still occurring at an ever-increasing rate in all corners of the country and some abroad. We call the abusers on the carpet and we don’t let them try to use some bullshit excuse on us when our defenders come calling. We are the defenders of not only the children but of common sense.
And as to your question about why we don’t do any stories about ‘good’ parenting. First off there are already tons of blogs like that out there. My goal is to always be different from the rest of the herd. Besides I also noticed that you didn’t see the e-mails that we get from parents in dire situations asking how they can protect their kids. We aren’t sunshine and rainbow farting unicorns here. We are reality, a reality that you seem to have trouble accepting. Now that I think about it this entire blog is filled with a simple but powerful lesson for all parents. If you want to be a good parent don’t do what the fuckwits in our stories do. And if you do we’ll be there to make sure the internet knows about you.
So in conclusion please take your umbrage and cram it with walnuts.
Sincerely go fuck yourself
Trench ‘El Jefe’ Reynolds