The adorable face you see above is that of two-year old Riley Pettipierre, who lived in Derbyshire, England. Last March, Riley’s ‘mother’ Sally Dent awoke to find her son unresponsive in bed. His lips were blue and he wasn’t breathing. He was rushed to hospital but sadly, died shortly after arrival. An autopsy later revealed that Riley had consumed between 10 and 20ml of Methadone. Turns out, Sally Dent had a ‘history of drug use going back many years’ and had been prescribed Methadone to help her kick a heroin habit. Yesterday, Sally and Riley’s father, Shaun Binfield, were both found guilty of manslaughter and cruelty to a child. Turns out, these mouth breathers thought it would be perfectly safe to leave a CHILD’S BEAKER full of Methadone on top of a chest of drawers in their toddler sons bedroom. Why? So it could be in ‘easy reach’ of Sally. Yeah, it was in easy reach of their son, too. That just makes a terrible situation even more outrageous. They KNEW the cup was there and yet they didn’t move it and still allowed Riley into the room unsupervised. Riley did what any toddler would do. He probably drank from the cup thinking it was juice, not something that could, and did, take his tragically short life. The judge has adjourned sentencing until the 19th of February. Personally, I hope they throw away the key, as it was entirely their fault Riley died, but I know it’s a futile hope.
What class acts. I’d just love it if someone would wipe that stupidly smug look off her face.
***Thanks to UK correspondent Cobalt Rose for the write up***